Home » News » News » Poster exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of the National Museum of Archaeology
Poster exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of the National Museum of Archaeology
In 2012 the National Museum of Archaeology celebrates 120 years of its foundation. The Museum was created to discover, collect and preserve the archaeological sites and artifacts and thus to support the study of the past of the Bulgarian territories and nation. The National Institute of Archaeology with Museum of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (NIAM-BAS) houses unique documents and photographs related to the history of the largest archaeological museum in Bulgaria. They illustrate its significance as a main center for popularizing the past of the Bulgarian confines.
The photographs from the archives of NIAM-BAS on display in the poster exhibition show the chronicle of the most important and exciting moments of the history of the Museum of Archaeology as both an institution and research center:
- The foundation of the museum collection as a department of the Sofia Public Library in 1878 and its development till 1892;
- The history of the Bulgarian National Museum (1892 – 1908);
- The opening of the first permanent museum exposition on May 18th 1905;
- The foundation and development of the Archaeological National Museum (1909 – 1920), of the Bulgarian Institute of Archaeology (1921 – 1946); and of the Institute of Archaeology with Museum of BAS (1947 – 2012);
- The departments, periodicals and library of the National Museum of Archaeology;
- The National Museum of Archaeology as a research centre;
- The exhibitions in the National Museum of Archaeology;
- The most remarkable exhibits in the Museum.
The curator of the exhibition is Ass. Prof. Dr. Krassimira Karadimitrova. Krassimir Georgiev – photographer, Ass. Prof. Dr. George Ivanov – design of the posters, Ass. Prof. Dr. Kamen Boyadzhiev and Krastyu Chukalev (NIAM-BAS) have also worked on the project.
The exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of the foundation of the National Museum of Archaeology is open from October 26th till November 10th 2012 in the City Garden in Sofia, the park in front of Ivan Vazov National Theatre.