Awards for scholarly achievements in archaeological research
The annual awards presented by the Ministry of Culture for scholarly achievements of archaeological research representing a significant contribution to the development of the archaeological scholarship and promotion of the cultural heritage of our country were bestowed for a fourth consecutive year.
Committee chaired by Dr. Lyudmil Vagalinski, Director of the National Institute of Archaeology with Museum and members:
- Prof. Dr. Bozhidar Dimitrov, Director of the National Museum of History
- Prof. Dr Totko Stoyanov, "St. Kliment Ohridski" Sofia University and Chairman of the Association of the Bulgarian archaeologists
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Georgi Nehrizov, NIAM-BAS and national coordinator of AIS "AKB"
- Rumen Mikov, National Institute of Immovable Cultural Heritage (NIICH), chief expert
- Dr. Borislav Borislavov, Chief assistant, advisor to the Minister of Culture, Ministry of Culture
voted unanimously to award the following archaeologists for their professionalism:
- Prof. Dr. Alexandra Milcheva for overall contribution to the archaeological scholarship;
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivan Hristov (National Museum of History) for the field study of archaeological sites Kozi Gramadi and Akra, the implemented conservation and restoration of Akra and the released scholarly publications;
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kristina Panayotova (NIAM-BAS) for the field study of the ancient necropolis of Apollonia Pontica, the fulfillment of the site’s restoration, the field study of the island of St. Kirik and Urdoviza (present-day Kiten);
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Boni Petrunova (NIAM-BAS) for the field study of the following archaeological sites: Peristera fortress, Kaliakra fortress and Urvich fortress, the fulfillment of the sites’ conservation and restoration as well as the scholarly publications on them;
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Milena Tonkova (NIAM-BAS) for organizing the International scholars conference dedicated to "30 years Department of Thracian archaeology at NIAM-BAS" and the field study of the archaeological site Halka Bunar, Chirpan Municipality;
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Valeri Yotov (RIM-Varna) and Alexander Minchev (RIM-Varna) for the field study of the late antique fortress at St. Atanas cape and the released scholarly publication on the site;
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Petya Georgieva ("St. Kliment Ohridski" Sofia University) for the field study of Kozareva mound, Pomorie Municipality and a scholarly monograph published.
The awards were presented at the 53rd National Archaeological Conference in the city of Sandanski by the Deputy Minister of Culture Mrs. Velislava Krаsteva.